Ah, after months of hard work you finally got your lawn the way you want it. Everything is perfect; the grass is a healthy green and the flowers bloom incandescently in the sunlight.
The fruits of your labor have finally payed off…
But wait, what is that you see! Are those weeds? Yep, and they are destroying your beautiful garden.
Before you start panicking, rest assured that today there are many tools available that can deal with your weed problem.
One such effective tool are weed killers, and we’ll be showing you the best weed killers you can get your hands on today.
But first, we should probably define the thing you are actually try to kill.
A weed is actually a plant with a couple of specific characteristics:
- They produce many seeds which can survive for a long time
- They spread very fast
- They compete with other plants for resources like water, land and sunlight
- They make your lawn look unruly and messy
As you can see, weeds can easily get out of control and ruin your beloved garden or lawn. It’s important to take action early before the problem becomes a disaster..
Weed Killers Buyer’s Guide
Before we get to the comparison table, lets go through some of the different types of weed killers and what they are best for. This information will be handy in when choosing the right product for your lawn.
There are two types of weed killers:
Pre-emergent weed killers prevent the weed from germinating whilst post-emergent weed killers target weeds that have already sprouted above the soil.
On top of this, there are two ways in which most weed killers work:
- Contact weed killers, as the name suggests, kill only the plants with which it comes into contact with. They are very common and you’ll see results within hours as the weed begins to wilt. Although fast, they usually only destroy the part of the plant above the soil, and not the entire root system. In general, contact weed killers are great for dealing with annual weeds which spread via seeds. Why? Because the seeds are above the soil meaning you can directly spray that area. Common annual weeds include bindweed, crab grass, mallow and nettle.
- Systemic weed killers work by being absorbed by the foliage and then travel through the weed to the root system. They prevent the weed from growing and also inhibit its ability to produce food from sunlight. It can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks to see results with this method. Systemic weed killers are good for perennial weeds that spread via seeds and roots, since the herbicide will kill whats also below the soil. Common perennial weeds include bindweed, poison ivy, thistle, ragweed and dandelion.
There are also some weed killers that are both systemic and contact, so you can get the best of both worlds.
- Kills weeds that it comes into contact with
- Fast results with visible symptoms within hours as weed wilts (usually weed death in 1 – 2 weeks)
- Great for killing annual weeds
- Gets absorbed by the foilage and enters the root system
- Slower working with complete weed death occurring usually in 2 – 3 weeks
- Great for killing perennial weeds
You’ll also hear the word ‘selective’ being thrown around when it comes to weed killers. Basically, if a weed killer is selective, it won’t kill all the vegetation it touches. It may just kill weeds and leave the grass on your lawn alone. This is perfect for established lawns. However; always ensure to read the labels carefully as many selective herbicides will still destroy some grasses, like the popular St. Augustine grass.
On the other hand, a ‘non-selective’ weed killer will kill mostly everything it touches, including grasses, vegetables and flowers. As always, careful application and adherence to instructions is the best way to prevent any mistakes.
Putting it all together
There are a couple of scenarios which may suit one weed killer over another. Let’s take a look at the most common ones:
- Your lawn is out of control! There are weeds sprouting up everywhere! If you want to get rid of everything and start again, you might want to consider a non-selective weed killer. Depending on the weeds, a powerful systemic or contact weed killer (or both) will get the job done.
- If you have weeds growing amongst vegetables and flowers then a selective or non-selective weed killer is a good choice. See, a herbicide – even a selective one – will likely still do damage to vegetables or flowers. The best thing you can do in this situation is carefully apply the herbicide, ensuring none of it gets to the surrounding plants. Another option is a good old fashioned weed pulling. Depending on the weeds; a contact, systemic or a combination of both are suitable to use.
- A non-selective weed killer is great for lawns with weeds. The best thing about these weed killers is that they don’t target grasses which makes applying them pretty easy. However; ensure to read the label as many will still kill certain types of grasses.
- Lastly, you may have small sections in your lawn or garden where you don’t want weeds growing in. This may include the edges of paths, fences, and other hard surfaces. In this case, a pre-emergent weed killer is a wise choice. It’s also great if you want to keep your established garden or lawn free from weeds. Before applying, ensure to remove the weeds that have already germinated.
To get the best results, ensure that you always follow the instructions that come with your weed killer. After all, using a herbicide incorrectly can spell disaster for your lawn!
So now we got all of that out of the way, let’s take a look at the best weed killers for 2022!
Best Weed Killers 2022
|1. Compare-N-Save Grass and Weed Killer||Non-selective contact and systemic||Post-emergent weeds||32 oz. or 1 gallon or 2.5 gallons||6,300 sq. ft or 25,500 sq. ft. or 63,000 sq. ft||Check Price|
|2. Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus||Non-selective contact and systemic||Post-emergent weeds||16 oz. or 36.8 oz. or 64 oz.||1500 sq. ft. or 3,000 sq. ft. or 6000 sq. ft||Check Price|
|3. Southern Ag 2,4-D Amine Weed Killer||Selective contact||Post-emergent weeds||32 oz.||16,000 sq. ft||Check Price|
|4. Preen Garden Weed Preventer||Selective systemic||Pre-emergent weeds||5.625 lbs or 13 lbs or 16 lbs or 31.3 lbs||900 sq. ft. or 2080 sq. ft or 2560 sq. ft or 5000 sq. ft||Check Price|
|5. Gordon's Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer||Selective contact||Post-emergent weeds||20 oz.||18.000 sq. ft.||Check Price|
|6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate||Non-selective systemic||Post and Pre-emergent weeds||32 oz. or 1 gallon or 2 gallons||75 sq. ft. or 300 sq. ft. or 600 sq. ft.||Check Price|
|7. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer||Selective systemic||Pre-emergent weeds||10 lbs or 20 lbs or 30 lbs||5,000 sq. ft. or 10,000 sq. ft. or 15,000 sq. ft.||Check Price|
|8. Roundup Control Weed and Grass Killer||Non-selective Contact and Systemic||Post and Pre-emergent weeds||1.3 gallons||400 sq. ft.||Check Price|
|9. Bayer Advanced Weed and Crabgrass Killer||Selective contact and systemic||Post-emergent weeds||32 oz.||5,000 sq. ft.||Check Price|
|10. Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns||Selective systemic||Post-emergent weeds||32 oz.||16,000 sq. ft||Check Price|
1. Compare-N-Save Grass and Weed Killer – Best budget weed killer solution
When it comes to killing every single weed in your lawn or garden, you can’t look past Compare-N-Save’s grass and weed killer.
It’s the nuclear bomb of weed killers. It doesn’t discriminate and will kill whatever you apply it to.
You can purchase the concentrate in volumes from 32 ounces all the way up to 2.5 gallons. It’s enough to cover 6,300 sq. ft. to a staggering 63,000 sq. ft. Even at the smaller volumes, this product easily eclipses most of the competition in the coverage it provides.
Of course, usage will depend on how much concentrate you use. It’s recommended to use 1.5 ounces per liter (33 oz.) of water. For more stubborn weeds, you’re best bumping this number up to 2.5 ounces.
Following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter will do you justice and you’ll sure get positive results as countless other customers have reported. Don’t get fooled by the cheaper price tag – when it comes to getting rid of all types of weeds, the Compare-N-Save grass and weed killer is one of the best products for the job.
- Very affordable
- Extremely effective at killing all weeds (annual and perennial) and any other unwanted greenery
- High concentrate means you can make a lot of spray
- Recommended by countless customers
- Takes up to 2 hours to become waterproof
2. Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus – Fast acting vegetation killer
For those of you who are not prepared to put your money in a lesser known brand like Compare-N-Save, the Roundup weed and grass killer concentrate plus is the perfect product for you.
Similar to Compare-N-Save, this product is also a vegetation killer, meaning it will kill weeds, grasses, flowers…you name it.
So yes, it does the same job but has a slightly different formulation . On top of containing Glyphosate (18%), there is also another active ingredient in the form of Diquat (.73%).
Applying is simple enough, mix the desired concentrate volume with water and begin spraying the desired areas. You get 16 oz. which can make up to 10 gallons of spray. This is plenty for most lawns and you should be able to squeeze out a couple of repeat applications. And don’t worry if you require more concentrate from the get go, the formula also comes in 36.8 and 64 oz. bottles.
Ensure only the weeds or grass you want to remove is sprayed on. This is strong stuff and if you accidentally spray plants you should wash them off with water immediately. Don’t worry if it it hits the soil, as the active ingredients will not spread. And if it looks like it’s going to rain soon you should not fear as the application will become waterproof after just 30 minutes.
- Effectively kills weeds and grasses to the root with two active ingredients formulation
- Rain proof in 30 minutes
- Quick acting with visible results after 12 hours
- Good coverage capability
- Trusted brand
- More expensive than similar products
3. Southern Ag 2,4-D Amine Weed Killer – Best selective weed killer
Southern Ag 2,4-D Amine weed killer is the first selective application we’ve mentioned here. And dare we say, it may just be the very best of its kind.
Being a selective weed killer, it’s great if you have an established lawn that is plagued with weeds. It won’t touch the grass and will attack dozens of broadleaf weeds, from dandelions and poison ivy, to chickweed and clover. If there’s a weed that needs to be gone, chances are Southern Ag will be able to remove it without touching your precious grass.
The bottle is 32 oz of concentrate with the recommendation of mixing 2 – 3 tablespoons with 3-5 gallons of water. Overall this can give you around 20,000 sq. ft. of coverage. If you find weeds to still be kicking it after the first application, it’s recommended to up the concentration.
When it’s all said and done, this is the best selective weed killer on the market right now.
Southern Ag have created a herbicide that will do a great job of only killing the weeds on your lawn. It’s potent and effective. If you’ve got a beautiful grassy lawn being ruined by ugly weeds, give this product a shot. You won’t be disappointed.
- Great at killing weeds without harming grass (including St. Augustine grass)
- Lots of coverage
- Well priced
- Will kill most weeds but not all (read label)
4. Preen Garden Weed Preventer – The best weed preventer (pre-emergent)
We’re pretty sure you’ve heard of this popular gardening and lawn brand. Preen have been around since 1947 and are currently one of the largest players in the industry. It should come as no surprise that one of their products make this list.
To get the most effective results, remove all grown weeds from your lawn first and then apply. Preen have included a power spreader cap that does the job of a spreader, so applying the granules is super easy. As per instructions, reapplying every 9-12 weeks will ensure a weed free lawn so it’s fine to apply during the summer or fall as well.
You also get the selection of different sized containers that can cover lawns from 900 sq. ft. all the way up to 5000 sq. ft.
All in all, Preen is the perfect weed killer companion to an already established lawn.
Let’s say your lawn is full of vegetables and flowers and you don’t want any weeds sprouting up around them, than this is the perfect product for you. It’ll prevent 27 types of broadleaf weeds and grasses from germinating whilst not harming over 200 types of flowers, bulbs, shrubs, trees and vegetables.
When it comes to pre-emergent weed killers, you can’t look past the Preen garden weed preventer. It is the best of its class and although it’s more expensive than similar products like Scotts Halts crabgrass & grassy weed preventer, you definitely get what you pay for.
- Class leading pre-emergent herbicide
- Built in spreader cap
- Will effectively protect an established lawn from new weeds
- Trusted, established and reliable brand
- Good coverage
- A bit more expensive than competing products, though you get what you pay for
5. Gordon’s SpeedZone Lawn Weed Killer – Fast acting selective weed killer
Gordon’s SpeedZone lawn weed killer is a great choice if you need to get rid of weeds already covering a lawn.
The fun doesn’t stop there. Just 20 ounces of the stuff can make 20 gallons of product, resulting in a coverage of over 14,300 sq. ft. This is great news for your wallet and makes the Speed Zone lawn weed killer one of the more affordable products out there.
This is plenty of concentrate, even when following up applications every 2-6 weeks as recommended. If your lawn is average in size, you should get at least enough use for a year.
SpeedZone is renowned for developing herbicides with superior cool-weather performance. You see, it’s harder to kill weeds in cold weather due to a slower uptake of the herbicide. SpeedZone have overcome this issue with their unique formulation, meaning you can apply this herbicide in all seasons including fall.
Thanks to the 4 active ingredients, SpeedZone is an extremely effective weed killer. For a decent price, you get lots of coverage and a quick acting formula.
- Fast results within 1 to 2 weeks
- Well priced
- 4 active ingredients makes for a very effective product
- Excellent cold weather performance
- Adhere to instructions carefully – not suitable for all lawns
6. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate – Remove weeds and grasses from hard surfaces
Ortho GroundClear vegetation killer concentrate is another such herbicide which takes the nuclear option when dealing with weeds. It is non-selective and will kill all types of vegetation.
Ensure that you read the guidelines though, as they recommend applications every 6 to 8 months if you live in an area of heavy rainfall.
The two active ingredients – Glyphosate (5.0%) and Imazapyr (0.08%) are both non-selective, systemic weed killers which provide a double whammy of root penetration and destruction. Indeed, we would agree with many users that this product can definitely keep those weeds away for a long time.
Ortho have provided this product in 3 sizes – 32 oz., a gallon and 2 gallons. They can treat 75 sq. ft, 300 sq. ft and 600 sq. ft respectively.
All things considered, the price point is fairly standard for a product of this type and application. It may seem expensive at first, but then again you only need to apply it no more than twice a year.
Ortho GroundClear is a great vegetation killer that does exactly what it says – clear the ground. Overall, we highly recommended it as a weed prevention tool as well as a weed killer.
- Long lasting effects for up to a year
- Kills existing weeds and prevents new ones from growing
- Great for clearing hard surfaces like walkways, paths and patios
- Due to the nature of the product, coverage is limited
- Not suitable for lawns with desirable plants like vegetables and flowers
7. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer – Excellent budget grass weed preventer
This weed killer by Scotts is a little bit different than the other herbicides out there in that it targets pre-emergent weeds.
This is great news if you already have an established lawn as it won’t kill any grasses or flowers. It will however; prevent nasty weeds like crabgrass, henbit and chickweed from ever sprouting.
This is also a very robust weed killer with many reports indicating its effectiveness all year round. You can apply it in spring or fall and it won’t lose its potency due to the cold.
Once you get your schedule organized, actually applying Scotts Halts crabgrass and grassy weed preventer is pretty simple. You don’t need to mess with any sprays as it’s a dry, granule and no-mix product.
It’s a good idea to first mow the lawn and pull out existing weeds that you see. Then simply pour the desired amount into a spreader and off you go. Follow this up with some watering and you’re all set.
It’s hard not to recommend this weed preventer. It’s fairly easy to use and provides plenty of bang for the buck. Furthermore; it sports great reviews with many of the few negative remarks being due to incorrect use such as customers believing that the product also targets germinated weeds. As always, follow the instructions to the letter and this product will serve you well.
- Easy to apply
- Great pricing
- Effectively stops weeds from germinating and will not harm grass or grown plants
- Great choice for established lawns
- Can’t plant grass or other plants for 4 months after application
- Ensure to read instruction carefully – not suitable for all lawn types
8. Roundup Control Weed and Grass Killer – Best pre-made weed killer spray
With its roots (mind the pun) beginning in the 1960’s and established in 1974, Roundup is one of the oldest and most respected herbicide brands. When it comes to killing weeds you can always turn to Roundup and their line-up of products.
If you’re looking for a pre-mixed solution that eliminates all the fuss and waiting, than the Roundup control weed and grass killer is perfect for you. See, with a pre-mixed solution you don’t need to bother with measuring gallons of water and using a separate sprayer. Roundup have done all the hard work for you and even provide a spray cap. Once you get the product you can begin using it straight away.
Similar to the previously mentioned entry from Ortho, this product is best to use on, or around the edges of hard surfaces.
Overall, Roundup offers a full solution for customers who don’t want to get caught up with all the details. It’s quick and effective with results showing after just 3 hours and rain-proofing after only 10 minutes. If you’re looking for a powerful and complete weed killer option, Roundup has got you covered.
- Dual action formula kills existing weeds and prevents seeds from germinating
- Very easy to use with built in spray
- Trusted and well respected brand
- Waterproof within 10 minutes of use
- Premium quality demands a premium price
- Not as potent as some similar products
9. Bayer Advanced Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer – The best crabgrass killer
Bayer Advanced is a powerhouse business in the garden and lawn care industry and sports dozens of products you can choose from.
The concentrate comes in a 32 ounce bottle and you’ll be looking to use 3.2 ounces per gallon of water. This equate to treating 5000 sq. ft. of lawn. Once applied, it’ll be rainproof after an hour.
From examining all the reviews, this product is one of the best when it comes to dealing with crabgrass. Since it’s also a contact herbicide, you’ll see the affected weeds or grass begin to wilt as the herbicide does its work. Sure, it may not deal with all types of vegetation, but if you need to remove that pesky crabgrass, you won’t find a better option.
This product, amongst many others, requires careful adherence to the instructions if you don’t want to damage your lawn. If you apply it correctly, you’ll find a powerful and cost effective weed killer that will serve you well.
- Cost effective
- Will kill many weed types and grasses without harming your lawn
- Not suitable for all lawns
- Somewhat complex instructions
10. Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns – A high coverage, selective weed killer
Spectracide weed stop for lawns is a systemic weed killer meaning it is absorbed by the weed and then transported throughout the plant. It slowly kills the weed and you can expect result within 3 weeks of application.
The science behind the formulation is the use of a chemical abbreviated as 2,4 – D. It selectively kills over 200 weed species, primarily broadleaf, and leaves the grass untouched so you won’t have to worry if you accidentally miss your target. It’ll target common weeds like dandelion, clover and chickweed.
You get 32 ounces of the stuff, which is enough to cover 16,000 sq. ft. Considering the price tag, this is pretty good value and for most people it’ll be enough for multiple treatments in case the weeds still persist after 3 weeks.
Overall, this is a safer alternative to many weed killers out there. If you’re worried of causing collateral damage to your lawn or garden, then rest assured you’ll be in good hands with this herbicide.
- Targets weeds and not grass
- Excellent coverage
- Safe alternative to non-selective weed killers
- You’ll see results up to 3 weeks later, which is about a week longer than other competing weed killers
- Ensure to read instructions carefully – not suitable for all grasses
Over to you
Thank you for reading our best weed killers for 2022. It took a lot of time to compile this list and ensure that each product was worth its place.
Choosing the right weed killer can be a difficult thing, but with the help of resources such as ours, a painful experience can be made much more enjoyable! We hope we helped you on your journey in finding that perfect weed killer. Feel free to leave any comments or questions below.
Rick R says
Thanks for the list. Can you advise which of the Systemic weed kills will work on Lesser Caladine / Ranunculus ficaria?
Paul I says
Very nice review & recommendation, it would be nice to know if any of the products is safe for pet.