Infrared heaters are becoming more popular as people realize the amazing benefits they have over convection heating systems.
The logic is simple; would you rather heat objects in a room or the air itself?
Unlike convection heating systems which warm the air, infrared heaters emit infrared rays that heat up all the objects (including you!) in a room. Think of the heat you experience when standing in the sunshine. A similar feeling is experienced by infrared heaters.
Using such technology can reduce your heating bill upwards of 50% since they convert almost all the energy into heat.
Choosing an infrared heater for your home heating needs is a no-brainer. But how do we go about determining the best one?
Let’s get started.
Best Infrared Heaters 2022
|Model||Heating Coverage||Features||Dimensions (L * W * D) / Weight (lbs)||Warranty||Award||Price||Shop|
|1. Dr Infrared Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 12 hour timer and wheels||13" * 11" * 16" / 24 lbs||3 years||Best overall infrared heater||$$||Check Price|
|2. Trustech Portable Infrared Heater||100 sq. ft.||Thermostat, carry handle||11.4" * 3.5" * 15.2" / 2.65 lbs||1 year||Best overall portable infrared heater||$||Check Price|
|3. Duraflame Infrared Quartz Log Set Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, ember and log effects, thermostat||20.5" * 8.7 * 12.6 / 14 lbs||1 year||Best log and ember infrared heater||$$$||Check Price|
|4. Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Radiant Heater||225 sq. ft.||Carry handle||13.4" * 15" * 8.3" / 9.8 lbs||1 year||Best outdoor portable infrared heater||$||Check Price|
|5. COSTWAY Portable Quartz Heater||160 sq. ft.||Thermostat and carry handle||11" x 6.7" x 22.4" / 6.73 lbs||1 year||Best budget infrared heater||$||Check Price|
|6. Surjuny Patio Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, 24 hour timer, mounting bracket, LCD display and buttons, adjustable and waterproof||25.6" x 5.7" x 9.2" / 4.4 lbs||1 year||Best garage, patio and outdoor home infrared heater||$||Check Price|
|7. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 9 hour timer , 3D fireplace||13.1" * 24" * 23.4" / 28.6 lbs||1 year||Best fireplace stove infrared heater||$$$||Check Price|
|8. Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 12 hour timer and wheels, fireplace LCD display||24" * 11" * 20" / 40 lbs||1 year||Most premium looking||$$$||Check Price|
|9. EdenPURE A5095 Gen2 Infrared Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Thermostat, 12 hour timer and remote||15.1" * 11.5" * 9.6" / 15 lbs||2 years||Top choice for asthmatics or people with allergies||$$$||Check Price|
|10. Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater||500 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 12 hour timer||12" * 13 * 17" /11.5 lbs||1 year||$||Check Price|
|11. Duraflame Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Oscillating Tower Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 9 hour timer, oscillation||8" * 10.9" * 22.8" / 23.1 lbs||3 years||Best oscillating infrared heater||$$$||Check Price|
|12. Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater||1000 sq. ft.||Remote, thermostat, 12 hour timer||12.8" * 7.5" * 12.4" / 11.5 lbs||1 year||$||Check Price|
1. Dr Infrared Heater – Best overall infrared heater
The Dr infrared heater is a portable heating solution that can comfortably heat up to 1000 sq. ft. – about half the size of a tennis court. It’s a great choice for a small, medium or even large room.
We already know that infrared heaters are extremely energy efficient. Well, the Dr infrared heater pushes the boundaries even further.
Temperature ranges from a cool 50 °F, all the way up to a hot summers day 86 °F. Alternatively, you can just set it to run at a desired temperature all the time with or without a timer.
This heater has been touted as being portable and for good reason. At 24 lbs and measuring at 13″ * 11″ * 16″, it’s fairly compact and can be easily wheeled around using the 4 wheels. In the same vein, you’ll also get a remote so you won’t have to leave you chair when changing the settings (well sort of).
Speaking of safety, you get all the things you would expect of a heater of this quality – a cool touch exterior, tip over switch and an auto shut-off mechanism. In essence, this unit is built to last and be extremely safe to use.
You can be assured that the dual PTC and quartz infrared elements do an excellent job of heating a room. There is even a 7 inch blower that quietly distributes the heat. Add in 80,000 hours of guaranteed operation with a 3 year warranty, and we have the best infrared heating solution that will keep yourself warm for many winters to come.
- Guaranteed 80,000 hours of operation
- Excellent power saving modes
- Well priced
- Lightweight and portable design with 4 wheels and remote
- Certified safety by Underwriters laboratories with an auto shut-off, anti-tip over protection and thermostat
- Timer functionality
- Ability to change wattage means maximum power saving
- User-friendly settings display
- Remote can only be used once you manually turn on the heater
2. Trustech Portable Infrared Heater – Best portable infrared heater
Many infrared heaters are portable by nature. After all, they are ideal for zone heating, meaning you can move them from room to room. However; some are just a bit more portable than others.
And so we welcome this portable radiant heater by Trustech.
Although it stands at 15.2″ tall, it only weighs 2.65 lbs, making this heater ideal for taking it anywhere you want, whether that be the office, study or bedroom.
Being a true infrared heater, this model comes with no fans, so the heat is mostly felt whilst being directly in line of sight of the reflectors. Compared to heaters with fans, no energy will be wasted heating up the air of the room. Instead, only objects will be warmed.
Trustech has also included several safety features including an automatic shutoff and a tip-over safety switch which triggers if the unit falls over.
Nothing bad can be said about this heater. Sure, there is no timer or remote but considering the price and practicality of such features, we wouldn’t expect it to be included. This heater is simple in design and is brilliant in what it does. As far as portable infrared heaters go, this one is as good as it gets.
- Extremely portable and light weight with carry handle
- Very energy efficient
- Two heat settings
- Well priced
- Safety features including tip over switch and thermostat
- No frills solution. Lacks remote or timer.
3. Duraflame Infrared Quartz Log Set Heater – Best ember bed and logs infrared heater
When it comes to aesthetic appeal, Duraflame is one of the best infrared heater brands on the market. It’s no surprise then, that their super popular ember bed and logs infrared heater makes an appearance on our list.
Rated at 5200 BTU’s, this heater has enough juice to heat a 1000 sq. ft room during the middle of winter. Not only that, it comes with a thermostat as well as a remote control for easy use.
Duraflame have ensured you get the most out of this presentation by allowing the flames to be adjusted with 5 brightness levels and to be able to play or pause the moving flame effect.
As always, no heater (or product for that matter) is ever perfect.
This issue only seems to affect certain units, so you’ll always have the option of returning it if you happen to be one of the few unlucky customers.
Another problem is that you can only set the thermostat via a knob on the side of the heater instead of using the remote. This also means you won’t be able to exactly set the temperature, though we’d imagine you’d be satisfied after a little bit of playing around.
Duraflame has also opted to omit a display showing the settings you have chosen. We wouldn’t really consider this a negative since it’s not needed. After all, sometimes less is better, and such settings would take away from the overall natural appeal.
Summing up, if you’re looking for a heater that looks like a log fireplace (but isn’t one) and heats up a room at the same time, then this product is a great choice.
- Remote control
- Extremely realistic log and ember effects
- Ability to adjust flame effects and ember brightness and movement
- Thermostat to maintain room temperature with auto shut-off
- Cool touch
- Reported humming noise in some models
- Temperature can only be adjusted on the heater itself and not remote control
4. Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Radiant Heater – Best outdoor portable infrared heater
Mr Heater is a portable radiant heater that is heralded as the most popular propane fueled heater in North America. We’ll tell you why.
Firstly, most infrared heaters are already portable, but this heater takes it to a whole other level.
It is truly portable, meaning you can use it without an electrical outlet. Simply grab yourself a 1 lb propane tank and your set. Expect areas up to 225 sq. ft. to be warmed up – think of a large tent. You can even use it as a more permanent solution, like in a garage, by purchasing an additional hose and filter and hooking it up to your gas line via the inbuilt swivel regulator. The heater is very easy to operate – simple use the knobs to light the pilot light and then you can choose between a high (9000 BTU) or low (4000 BTU) heat setting.
It also features top grade construction and features; after all if it’s meant for the outdoors one would expect nothing less than a super durable design. You get a fold down handle to reduce storage space, a wire guard in front of the heating source to prevent unintentional burns and lastly a durable porcelain coating heating surface that helps distribute heat.
There is a good list of safety features as well with a automatic shutdown that comes into effect if the unit is tipped over, if the pilot light dies or if low oxygen levels are detected.
We must mention that you won’t be getting a remote or timer. Clearly (as it should be) this heater is meant to be used with someone who is near the unit.
It’s small and compact, durable and well priced. If you need an infrared heater on your travels their no better one then the Mr Heater portable radiant heater.
- Well priced
- Durable design with porcelain coating heating surface
- Option to use profane tank or connect to a gas line (must purchase hose and filter)
- Good safety features including auto shutdown and wire guard
- Can heat up to 225 sq. ft.
- 2 heat settings
- No timer or remote (but why would you need one?)
5. COSTWAY Portable Quartz Heater – Best budget infrared heater
If you need a heater that’s a bit smaller and more portable, then the Costway portable quartz heater may be for you. To be fair, it straddles the line between small and normal sized.
It’s small enough to easily move to a room or office, but big enough to apply a decent dosage of heat.
You get 1200 W of power rather than the 1500 W we are so used to seeing. As such you can expect this unit to effectively heat 160 square feet.
Now you may be wondering why the heat coverage is significantly lower than other heaters, when the maximum power is only about 20% less. Well, this unit does not come with a fan. This means two things:
1) The heater operation is extremely quiet except for about 30 seconds of warm up time during initial switch on.
Of course, you also get the standard safety features including automatic shut-off when things get too hot as well as a tip-over switch and cool-touch exterior. The automatic thermostat also comes into effect when the desired room temperature is reached.
Overall, this heater is a quiet, no-frills solution to your small space heating needs. It’s extremely energy efficient, affordable and does what it is meant to do, to an excellent standard.
- Extremely quiet
- Well priced
- Very energy efficient
- Safety features
- Portable and light weight with carry handle
- Built in thermostat
- No-frills solution and so does not have a remote or timer
6. Surjuny Patio Heater – Best garage, patio and outdoor home infrared heater
The Surjuny patio heater is an Amazon choice selection for several reasons. It has excellent reviews, is simple to use and set up and is extremely affordable.
It’s as pure an infrared heater as you can get. It has no fans and minimal moving parts. Once you turn it on, expect to feel instant warmth.
On top of this, the heater also comes with a remote that allows you to set 3 different power levels – 500 W, 1000 W and 1500 W. There is also a timer function that can be set up to 24 hours which is perfect for when you need a space warmed when you’re not around.
If you prefer, you can also use the LCD display buttons instead of the remote. The LCD is handy when you need to check the power and timer settings.
Note that this heater (just like others in its category) doesn’t come with the typical safety features like an auto-shutoff or tip-over switch and that’s because it simply doesn’t need it. After all, why pay for something extra when it won’t be used?
All in all, Surjuny have offered a no frills heater which does an excellent job of heating a space. Simply put, if you have an outside area that needs warmth, this infrared heater will serve you well.
- 3 power modes
- Mounting bracket and bolts included
- Can be fixed onto a wall or ceiling
- Remote control
- Exceptional price
- LCD display and buttons
- No auto shut-off or tip-over switch (but not needed)
7. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove – Best fireplace stove infrared heater
When it comes to 3D flame effects, the Duraflame 3D infrared electric fireplace stove is about as good as it gets.
The quality doesn’t just stop there. The construction is also impressive with a complete metal body that is safe to touch. And there is plenty of power as well, with 1500 Watts enabling a room up to 1000 sq. ft. to be heated. You get a thermostat that ranges from 68 °F – 82 °F and can be set via the buttons on the heater. A remote is also provided where you can control things like on/off, flame level and a timer that can be set up to 9 hours.
Despite this niggling issue, we have to say this product is a great pick, and for the amazing build quality and flame effects, it truly is a steal. This is one heater that should be close to the top of your list.
- Great price
- Amazing, class leading flame effects
- Metal and sturdy design
- Cool to touch glass with auto shut-off
- Can use flame display without having to turn on the heating function
- Timer, thermostat and remote control
- Timer goes only up to 9 hours vs 12 hours in some other models
8. Lifesmart Infrared Quartz Fireplace – Premium Look and Quality at a great price
Want a fireplace without having to buy or cut up logs? Maybe you want to do something good for the environment by reducing your CO2 emissions? Well, the Lifesmart infrared quartz fireplace means that you can. And hey, you also get the energy efficient benefits of infrared heating as well.
This particular heater comes with an LCD display which can accurately depict flaming logs. The heat source is directly above the panel, completing the illusion of an actual fire place generating real heat. It comes with not 1, not 2, but 3 commercial grade quartz infrared elements that can easily heat a room up to 1000 sq. ft.
Yes this heater is a little more expensive than some of the other models out there, but what you are paying for is a premium oak design with an LCD finish. The heater does its job well and we are sure you won’t be disappointed.
- Premium oak build
- Thermostat with remote control and 12 hour timer
- Several safety features
- Wheels for portability
- 3 commercial grade quartz infrared elements
- Realistic flame LCD panel
- Can use flame display without having to turn on the heating function
- More expensive than similar powered models due to oak finish
9. EdenPURE A5095 Gen2 Infrared Heater – Perfect for asthmatics or people with allergies
Like the other models on this list, the EdenPURE infrared heater is another portable solution that is perfect for keeping you warm during those cold days and night.
You’ll find an automatic on/off function to regulate the heat output and ensure that no energy is wasted. It also comes with a nifty timer function that will allow you to specify when the unit will turn off or on. Practically, it means you can be out on some errands and then come back to a warm home.
EdenPURE are big on safety with a touch-safe exterior and tip-over sensor that will automatically trigger in the rare event the unit falls over. You won’t have to worry about any kids getting accidentally burned!
Interesting, this is the only heater on this list with the ability to install an additional air purification kit. It comes with a high grade Hepa filter, UV light and PC component that ensures the air coming out is cleaner then the air coming in. This makes this heater a great choice for asthmatics or those of you suffering from allergies. Nevertheless, the existing filter will still do a great job as long as you perform the regular cleaning maintenance.
Overall this heater sports a great design, solid safety features and is very easy to use, especially with the included remote control. EdenPURE have a bunch of great products in their line-up, and this infrared heater is certainly one of them.
- Modern and Stylish design
- On/off functionality to regulate heat
- Great for asthmatics of people with allergies
- Timer and remote functionality with thermostat
- Safety features including safe-touch and tip-over sensor
- Does not come with wheels
10. Homegear Infrared Electric Portable Space Heater – Excellent budget option
This little heater is one of the most affordable on our list, making it perfect for those on a budget.
It features a durable plastic exterior that conveniently houses an LCD display for the temperature as well as controls for the power, timer and thermostat settings.
Weighing in at only 11.5 lbs, the Homegear Pro infrared heater sure packs a punch.
They’ve managed to cram in 1500 W of power that produces enough heat for a 1000 sq. ft. room. It’s impressive to say the least and even more so with the several settings you get. There is a low, high and an eco mode for those wanting to only use enough power as necessary. And don’t worry if things are getting a little frosty in your house; this unit can go all the way up to a balmy 86 °F.
If you were to peer into the case, you’d notice a silent blower fan which distributes the heat from a mica and quartz infrared heating tube. Top things of with a remote control so you don’t have to leave your comfy chair and we have a contender for perhaps the best budget infrared heater available.
- Very affordable
- Edgy and modern design
- Easy to use with remote and control panel with LCD display
- Cool-touch and tip over switch
- 12 hour timer, thermostat and remote control
- No wheels, though lightweight design means you shouldn’t have much trouble moving it
11. Duraflame Portable Electric Infrared Quartz Oscillating Tower Heater – Best oscillating infrared heater
Yet another excellent entry from Duraflame. This portable infrared quartz oscillating tower does exactly what it says – oscillate.
Whilst infrared heaters are great at heating a room, Duraflame have gone one step further to provide a heater that actually direct the hot air over a larger area. The result? Expect your room to heat up significantly faster.
On top of this, you’ll get the usual things expected of a heater in this price range including a remote, digital temperature display, timer and several temperature settings. Combine this with a premium oak finish and we have one attractive infrared heater that will fit well in just about any room.
When it’s all said and done, this is a top performing infrared heater that will keep you warm during the long winter months.
- Oscillating feature
- Powerful 5200 BTU’s with 6 infrared quartz heating elements
- Oak finish
- Several safety features including a cool-touch exterior and tip over switch
- Remote control and 12 hour timer with thermostat
- Tall design means it’s more likely to tip over
- Oscillation causes a bit more noise than usual
12. Lifesmart Medium Room Infrared Heater – Easy to use and at an affordable price
Lifesmart really know what they are doing when it comes to infrared heaters. This infrared heater is a great choice when it comes to affordably heating a small to large room (1000 sq. ft.) thanks to the 3 quartz heating elements.
At first look, we thought this heater looked more like a desktop PC than something to heat a room. But when you think about it, there is some genius in the design.
The vertical front grill provides ample surface area for heat to enter the room. The large LED display that sits angled on top is extremely easy to use and will display all the settings in plain sight. In essence, this is a straightforward and practical design that forgoes the more finesse (but sometimes unpractical) designs of other heaters.
You’ll also get the typical things like a remote and 12 hour timer. Don’t let the modest price fool you; you also get a bunch of safety features that will keep your family and home safe. This includes a touch safe exterior, fireproof cabinet and tip-over switch which will shut down the unit in the event that it falls over.
Overall, this is a small little heater that is very easy to use and offers the features that are common at more premium prices. If you need something that does a good job of heating a space, then this heater will get the job done.
- Remote control and 12 hour timer with thermostat
- Easy to use with large display
- 3 settings with eco mode
- Vertical and large grill to effectively heat a room
- Cool touch exterior, fireproof cabinet and tip-over switch and auto-shutoff
- Well priced
- Excellent temperature range of 50 °F – 97 °F
- Fan is slightly noisy
- LED light may be too bright for some people
Infrared Heater Buyer’s Guide
No list would ever be complete without a detailed buyer’s guide. After all, it’s all well and good to know what the best infrared heaters are but choosing the right one for you is a totally different ball game.
In order to make the right decision, it helps to understand what infrared heating is and how it works.
What is an infrared heater and how does it work?
The easiest way to explain how infrared heating works is comparing it to the sun. When you go outside on a sunny day and feel the warmth of the sun on your skin; that’s akin to how infrared heat feels.
The suns rays (including infrared radiation) heats whatever object it touches. In a similar fashion, infrared rays from an infrared heater warm whatever obeject they come into contact with, causing the molecules to oscillate and release heat.
This makes infrared heaters a very efficient and effective heating method for homes.
Commercially available infrared heaters are typically run on electricity and have several components. This includes an infrared generating source like an infrared light bulb, a heat exchanger to absorb heat, and then a component to release the heat like a fan or reflector.
Most infrared heaters that you can buy today use a quartz tube or ceramic element as the heat exchanger. These materials are extremely efficient and have a long shelf life. They can convert more than 95% of the input electricity to heat! Some infrared heaters even sport a 100% efficiency rating which exceeds many other heating methods.
Why is Infrared Heating a Good Choice?
There are numerous benefits of infrared heating that encourage people to make the switch:
- Efficiency. With convection heating, hot air rises and cooler air falls. This results in that cool air needing to be heated again. Not very efficient! As mentioned, infrared heating overcomes this by heating the objects directly and not the air itself. This achieves the desired temperature a lot more quickly. Even with infrared heaters that use a fan to blow heat out, the mechanism behind warming that air is a lot more efficient than traditional heating methods.
- Great for outdoors. While both types of heating can be used for enclosed spaces, infrared heating also excels in an outdoor environment since objects (such as yourself, a tent or chair) are warmed up instead of air which can easily escape the area you want warmed up.
- A Healthier Choice. Ever seen infrared heaters being used in a sauna or health studio? Infrared rays have numerous health benefits to the body including improving blood circulation, boosting the immune system and easing joint stiffness.
- Consistent Humidity and Cleaner Air. Infrared heaters are great at keeping the humidity levels consistent as the air isn’t directly warmed. This is especially advantageous during winter where traditional heaters make the air extra dry, forcing consumers to invest in a humidifier. They are also not pushing dust or allergens into the environment.
- Silent. Many infrared heaters operate in virtual silence as they have minimal moving parts. Even the ones with a built-in blower are generally very quiet.
- Easy to Maintain. Infrared heaters are a lot easier to maintain than convection heating. You don’t have to worry about things like a filter or exhaust. You pretty much just need to wipe down the unit from time to time when dust accumulates.
- Cost Effective. A high level of efficiency combined with the ability to warm a room very quickly mean that infrared heaters are a cost-effective solution compared to other heating systems.
While the advantages of infrared heating are enough to purchase a unit for yourself, it’s also important to understand the reason behind getting one in the first place.
Consider the following scenarios that would benefit from the use of an infrared heater:
- You have rooms that need heating or additional heating.
- You want to save on electricity bills by using infrared heating over more costly heating options like an air conditioner.
- There are cold spots in your house. You may find that your existing heating solution isn’t able to cover all areas of a room or house. For example, you may want heating in the bathroom or kitchen sink area. Whatever the cold spot, an infrared heater can solve the problem.
- You want a heater for outdoor use or for other airy environments (like a garage).
Factors To Consider When Choosing Your Infrared Heater
Before choosing which infrared heater to buy, it’s important to consider all the factors that come in to play. Here is a checklist for you to go through:
1) Fixed or Portable?
The majority of infrared heaters made for consumers are portable by nature. They are lightweight and relatively small and can be rolled or carried from room to room. However; some are meant to be permanent fixtures.
A fixed infrared heater is generally larger and able to warm at least one room. It’s a good choice when you want a permanent heating solution.
It’ll typically come in a kit ready to screw onto a wall or ceiling. Therefore; it’s important to identify the heaters location in the room before you decide to purchase it.
A portable infrared heater will come with wheels and/or carry handles and is lightweight enough for you to move around the house. It’s perfect for room to room (or zone) heating.
2) What about Safety?
It comes as no surprise that heater manufacturers take safety very seriously. After all, we are dealing with a device that can run very hot at times. The last thing we want is someone getting burnt or worst still a house fire!
The majority of models (and most of the ones we have mentioned) come with the following safety features:
- A tip over safety switch which will turn off the heater when it is tipped over. It may not happen that often, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. After all, you don’t want the exposed hot grates or reflector touching something flammable like carpet.
- A cool-touch exterior. Apart from the area that emits hot air or rays into the room, most of the heater will be cool to touch. It’ll prevent yourself and anyone else in the house from getting a singed surprise.
- Auto shut-off is another safety element which typically comes into effect when a certain temperature is reached, or the heater is pushed over. This auto shut-off will either turn the heater off completely or turn it off temporarily until the temperature begins to fall, in which case it’ll switch the unit back on again.
3) Additonal Functionality
Nowadays, infrared heaters come with numerous functions to maximise their usability. Here are the ones you should look out for:
Remote control: Who wants to have to get up from a comfy chair and change a setting on the heater itself? No one! Remote controls are the solution. They usually allow you to set the temperature and timer as well as turn the unit on or off. Basically, they help cover most features you would find on the actual heater.
Heating settings: Infrared heaters are already renowned for saving you money on your heating bills. However; to squeeze the most out of this ability, many heaters come with 2 or more heating settings. These can be at different watts. This ensures you can get the most out of your infrared heater using the smallest amount of energy possible. Many heaters also come with an eco-mode setting which will turn off the unit when the set temperature is reached. The heater will turn back on again once the room temperature begins to fall.
Timer: Timers are very handy from a usability point of view. They allow you to either set when the heater will turn off or when it will turn on. This is handy if you’re snoozing or are out for the day and want to return to a warm house. Timers typically range from 1 to 24 hours.
Oscillation: While the majority of infrared space heaters use a small fan to blow the heat out, other heaters also utilize an oscillating feature which rotates the heater and provides better heat coverage of a room.
Thermostat: Typically displayed via a digital panel (or as a knob), the thermostat will ensure your heater reaches and maintains the desired temperature.
The location of the heater within a room is also very important. If it’s portable, then you can just move it around till you’re happy. However; if you’re buying a unit that is more of a permanent fixture than consider its line of site.
If your heater does not use a fan, then ensure whatever you want to warm up has an unobstructed view as it requires a line of sight. Keep in mind that closer objects will be warmed faster and to a higher degree, than further objects.
For outdoor usage, garages, bathrooms and other environments where air is less contained, infrared heaters are a perfect option. They are even excellent for more practical applications, like drying paint.
Most heaters come with a setting to change power modes and therefore increase the amount of heat generated. This is perfect for fixed but especially portable units as you can change the setting based on the size of the room.
5) Size matters
This applies to the heater itself and size of the room.
In general, infrared heaters are best suited for small to medium sized rooms. The reason for this is that you’ll mostly feel the heat when the rays directly hit you.
So, a larger room with wider angles will make it more difficult for this to happen. Of course, you can always opt for a heater that emits rays over a larger surface area or one that also has a built-in fan.
In regard to the heater itself, a larger unit will obviously take up more space. You’ll also need to consider if it will sit vertically or horizontally.
Generally, a larger unit will have more power than a smaller one. You want to try and choose the right amount of wattage for the correct room size. Most heaters range from 250 to 1500 Watts. The lower end of this scale is best for a small room. Closer to 1500 Watts is ideal for a medium to large sized room.
It’s best to read the manufacturers description of a product to see what they recommend. They’ll generally provide the power level and corresponding size of room (in square feet or metres) that is recommended.
That way, you won’t waste power on heating a room too small. Conversely, you won’t invest in a heater that simply isn’t powerful enough to adequately heat a larger room.
Infrared heaters come in all shapes, sizes and materials. Some have 3D visual effects like flames to simulate a fireplace. Others are made from wood, plastic or aluminium, and coated in a variety of colours. Whatever type of room you have, there is an infrared heater that will surely look the part.
Like many products you buy, infrared heaters usually come with a warranty that lasts a year or more. Make sure to read the warranty to understand what is covered.
Are infrared rays dangerous?
A common misconception is that infrared rays can be dangerous to humans. This is because many people unknowingly lump together the damaging reputation of UV (ultraviolet) rays to also be associated with infrared rays.
The International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) is an independent organization that provides scientific advice and guidance of these types of radiation on health and the environment.
Regarding infrared radiation, they concluded no risk of cancer or body damage. In fact, the main risk associated was thermal injury which can occur with most types of heaters.
Having said that, any type of radiation can be dangerous if concentrated enough (think of a laser). Of course, infrared heater manufacturers ensure their product doesn’t emit anything close to a dangerous level.
Just how much money can I save using an infrared heater?
There is no absolute way of determining how much you can save by using an infrared heater. Yes, infrared heating is extremely energy efficient, but money savings will primarily boil down to how effectively you use the heater.
Zone heating is the best option to maximise efficiency. Zone heating is when you heat the rooms you most often use. This is opposed to using a central heating system that warms the entire house, including rooms you may not be in.
Well that concludes our best infrared heaters reviews for 2022. We hope this has made the process of choosing the right heater for yourself an easier one. As always, feel free to leave a comment below!
Leave a Reply